List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Kingsley Wright Date:March 21 1999 7:11pm
Subject:Problems with MySQL Linux init.d startup
View as plain text
I am running TurboLinux 3.0.1 with MySQL 3.22.20a.

This is an updated RPM package install

mysqld is in:
     /usr/sbin/mysqld
mysql is in:
     /usr/bin/mysql
databases are in:
    /var/lib/mysql/

There is also a directory with some scripts and stuff in:
    /usr/share/mysql/

There is a file /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql which is linked to /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S98mysql which
is what is run at boot time.  It looks like a pretty standard stop/start a daemon type
thing.

The problem is that when the init.d scripts are being executed, the mysql dies almost
immediately after it starts.
The /var/lib/mysql/vader.pacbell.net.err (hostname.err) file looks like this:

mysqld started on  Sat Mar 20 11:53:06 PST 1999
990320 11:53:08  /usr/sbin/mysqld: Can't find file: './mysql/user.frm' (errno: 13)
mysqld ended on  Sat Mar 20 11:53:09 PST 1999

Funny thing is, (not knowing where it assumes the current dir is exactly)
/var/lib/mysql/mysql/usr.frm exists

Funnier still is that when I log in as root and run the same script:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql start, it starts up just fine with the usual 3 processes and
everything appears normal...  Can anyone tell me what is going on here?  How do I stop it
from dying at startup?

Thanks

Kingsley Wright
wrightko@stripped
ICQ#977267

Thread
Problems with MySQL Linux init.d startupKingsley Wright21 Mar
  • Problems with MySQL Linux init.d startupsinisa21 Mar
  • Problems with MySQL Linux init.d startupsinisa21 Mar
  • Re: Problems with MySQL Linux init.d startupKingsley Wright22 Mar
  • Re: Problems with MySQL Linux init.d startup SOLVED!Kingsley Wright22 Mar