List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Vivek Khera Date:July 14 1999 4:18pm
Subject:Re: how to emulate "cursors"
View as plain text

>> I have an application where I need to select certain random values
>> from a select set.  The obvious way to do it is via cursors.  That is,

OA> Maybe you could add an auto increment field (call it rownum) and select *
OA> from table where rownum = myrandomnumber.

The rows already have sequential row numbers assigned.  The problem is
that the set from which I need to choose has a complicated "WHERE"
clause on it, which makes the row numbers less useful.  However, if it
were for the entire table, this would be the way to go.
Thread
how to emulate "cursors"Vivek Khera14 Jul
  • how to emulate "cursors"sinisa14 Jul
    • Re: how to emulate "cursors"Vivek Khera14 Jul
      • Re: how to emulate "cursors"sinisa15 Jul
  • Re: how to emulate "cursors"Orlando Andico14 Jul
    • Re: how to emulate "cursors"Vivek Khera14 Jul
      • Re: how to emulate "cursors"Orlando Andico14 Jul
  • Null columns in indexesChris Cleveland18 Jul
    • Re: Null columns in indexesPaul DuBois18 Jul
  • how to emulate "cursors"Michael Widenius30 Jul