List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:May 3 2001 2:30am
Subject:Re: user setting own password.
View as plain text
At 4:50 PM -0700 5/1/01, Dato wrote:
>how does a user set his own password in mysql? I have searched
>through the archives, and have found only the 'st password..'
>command. this does not work. In my case, there are more then just
>one host in the user table and the set password command only changes
>the localhost entry, leaving me unable to connect with the new
>password form other hosts! how do I solve this? Any help would be
>appreciated. Thanks.

Unless you're the root user, you can only change the password of the user
that you're connected as.  Allowing you change someone else's password would
be a huge security breach.  (The user table entries you refer to *are* for
different users, because a "user" in MySQL is really a user+hostname
combination.)  You'll need to connect with the given user name from
the
various hosts to be able to change the corresponding passwords with the
SET PASSWORD command.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread