List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Alistair MacDonald Date:March 21 1999 6:04pm
Subject:Re: Transfer table structures among databases?
View as plain text

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, S. Whitmore wrote:
> The main question:  Is there an easy (e.g., semi-automated) way to
> transfer table structures from one database on one system to another
> database on another system?  When I was still working with PowerHouse
> (from Cognos), there was a way to export the structure of a data
> table to a file that could be executed on the destination system and
> it would re-create everything you needed.  I'd love to find that kind
> of functionality with MySQL!  :-)

That would be the command documented in the manual as 'mysqldump'
-specifically 'mysqldump -d' (without data)

> The secondary question:  I've seen the MySQL manual and some tutorials,
> but is there a FAQ?  Is there any interest in a "knowledge-base-ish"
The manual takes the place of the FAQ or that is the theory ... doesn't
seem to work because people just see a manual and then don't bother
reading it. 8-(

> interactive FAQ that would allow browsing and searching?  I have
> something in mind (and a place to host it!), but I don't want to
> waste / duplicate effort.

Sounds like an interesting idea - wonder how much maintenance it needs ...
8-)

Alistair

Thread
Transfer table structures among databases?S. Whitmore19 Mar
  • Re: Transfer table structures among databases?Alistair MacDonald21 Mar
Re: Transfer table structures among databases?Ed Carp19 Mar