List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Trown Date:July 13 1999 10:22pm
Subject:Table design Question
View as plain text

     I'm contemplating a new project, but there is a problem blocking me and
I'm not sure how to tackle it.  I basicly know enough to be dangerous, but I
have'nt cracked this one.

     I'm thinking about putting my entire radius users file into mysql.  The
services we are starting to offer demand a more centralized approach to
controlling remote access.

     For those who don't know, the users configuration file contains dialin
parameters for modem and ISDN dialin users.  Each entry can consist of a
variable number of attributes.  For example:

user1   Auth-Type = Sql, Framed-Protocol = PPP, NAS-Port-Type = Async
        Service-Type = Framed-User,
        Framed-Protocol = PPP,
        Framed-IP-Address = 123.234.123.234,
        Framed-IPX-Network = 123.234.123.234,
        Framed-IP-Netmask = 255.255.255.255,
        Framed-Routing = None,
        Port-Limit = 1,
        Session-Timeout = 21600,
        Filter-Id = "filtername",
        Framed-Compression = Van-Jacobson-TCP-IP,
        Framed-MTU = 1500

user2-isdn     Password = "password", Framed-Protocol = PPP, NAS-Port-Type = ISDN
        Framed-Address = 123.234.123.235,
        Port-Limit = 2,
        Framed-Routing = None,
        Framed-Route = "123.234.123.16/29 123.234.123.17 1",
        Idle-Timeout = 0,
        Session-Timeout = 0,
        Filter-Id = "isdn-filt",
        Framed-MTU = 1500

     Not all attributes are always used and the values are'nt always the same.

     I suppose one way of setting this up would be to have one column per
possible attribute.  Not practical, since the number of Radius auth attributes
is large.

     Another approach would be to just create columns for the attributs I need.
But that is rather short-sighted and doesn't easily allow for expansion.

     I could put all the attributes into a blob or varchar, but that sort of
defeats the purpose of having an SQL db.

     So does anyone have any ideas as to how I might tackle this?

     Thanks!

Chris...

--
PGP fingerprint: 063FCE320681C336  78C164FC9B2F91EA
Thread