List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:July 13 1999 8:40pm
Subject:Re: .my.cnf, security, and permissions
View as plain text
"Peter F. Brown" wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
>    Besides changing Apache to run as a user (thanks Benjamin), does
> anyone have any thoughts about getting web Perl script to read
> .my.cnf when .my.cnf is set to 600? (The Perl script runs as nobody,
> so it can't read it unless .my.cnf is set to 644.)
>
>    Is this a limitation of Unix that we can't avoid, or is there
> some brilliant work around?
>
> Yours,
>
> Peter

Why would Apache ever need to read .my.cnf ?

Yes, Unix has its limitations :-) If you chmod your file to 000 you will
not be able to read it as a regular user, just like it says in the
Bible:

And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is
sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read
this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed: (Isaiah
29:11)

If you need several users to be able to read a file, you can create a
special group for that, add all the users you need to it, and then chgrp
your file to that group and chmod g+r your file.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)