List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Steve Edberg Date:April 20 2001 1:00am
Subject:Re: building site search
View as plain text
At 3:29 PM -0500 4/19/01, Wade DeWerff wrote:
>Is the common way to index a site, then place that into a database? If so
>whats the best(easiest) way to index a site? Thanks

Well, that's a LONG answer to a short question, but two common places
to start are
	Formerly called udmSearch, this can use MySQL as a backend;
looks quite nice - Perl & PHP frontends.
	Not quite sure what it uses for its database, but I'm sure it
could be hacked to use MySQL.

Two other search engines are Glimpse/WebGlimpse and Swish-E, although
I don't know a whole lot about them. You could also do a web search
for 'text indexing', 'intranet search', or something. You have plenty
of reading material then...

Database! Sql! Query!

+---------- KDVS 90.3fm Annual Fundraiser : 16 - 22 April 2001 ----------+
| Steve Edberg                           University of California, Davis |
| sbedberg@stripped                               Computer Consultant |
building site searchWade DeWerff19 Apr
  • Re: building site searchSteve Edberg20 Apr