List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:July 12 1999 8:01pm
Subject:Re: surviving the Slashdot effect
View as plain text
"Thomas D. Wilkinson" wrote:

> I'm working on a database project that is rather large scale and I am
> trying to avoid using Oracle because of the added cost to clients.  It
> is intended to be connected to the web for e-commerce.  My biggest fear,
> though is that I may be Slashdotted (This means being mentioned on a
> high traffic web site; this is good if the tools I use can handle it,
> embarrasing and costly if they can't).
>
> Has anybody ever had any experiences like this?  Has MySQL been able to
> survive a million (gives me a margin of safety) hits in one day (The
> hardware will be appropriate -- is the software?)?
>
> Thanks
>
> - Thomas
>
> --

There exists a wide spread delusion that Oracle can handle a high load
much better than MySQL. In most cases this is not true. I would venture
to say that for banner exchange type site MySQL will do much better not
only in terms of cost, but also in terms of performance. Here is the
deal:

- MySQL  - a simplified SQL database that gains high performance by
dropping the SQL features that will cause a signficant performance
overhead

- Oracle - s full-featured SQL database that has to sacrifice
performance in order to support all the fancy features

If MySQL becomes a limiting factor, it will not be because of speed - it
is the speed king of the databases - you might just need certain
features that it does not support. Even in that event, in my opionion,
you will still be better off by just coding around the limitations and
coming up with clever solutions.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)
http://www.direct1.com/ (work)
Thread
surviving the Slashdot effectThomas D. Wilkinson12 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectMichael R. Gile12 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectSrfRoG12 Jul
    • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectAdam Powell12 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectOrlando Andico12 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectSasha Pachev13 Jul
    • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectJames Rogers13 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectPatrick Greenwell13 Jul
    • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectThomas D. Wilkinson13 Jul
      • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectPatrick Greenwell13 Jul
        • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectThomas D. Wilkinson14 Jul
          • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectMichael Widenius30 Jul
        • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectT├Ánu Samuel14 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectDerick H Siddoway14 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectJames Rogers14 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectThomas D. Wilkinson14 Jul
    • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectJames Rogers17 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectDerick H Siddoway15 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectSasha Pachev15 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectDarrell Shifflett15 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectJames Rogers17 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectJames Rogers17 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectThomas D. Wilkinson17 Jul
    • Re: surviving the Slashdot effect (headed slightly off topic)\"Terrence W. Zellers\"18 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectAntony T Curtis19 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectSasha Pachev19 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectDerick H Siddoway19 Jul