List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:July 11 1999 6:47pm
Subject:Re: [PHP3] optimising a query
View as plain text
At 11:34 AM +0100 7/11/1999, Adam Powell wrote:
>Hi there... I was just wondering about the database processing overhead in
>each of the following situations.  Basically I have a database of banners
>(for an ad rotation script) that I want to SELECT from.  The load on the
>database server got to high when I selected from ALL of them, so I split
>them up into 4 sections and in 4 individual scripts did :
>
>SELECT * FROM banners WHERE section=1
>SELECT * FROM banners WHERE section=2
>SELECT * FROM banners WHERE section=3
>SELECT * FROM banners WHERE section=4
>
>This helped get the load back down again.  However now I have come to a
>point where I have to actually revert back to my old method as there are a
>few more things I wish to do, targeting functions that must include the
>whole range of banners.
>
>Could anybody give me some pointers, and some tips in table design that will
>speed up SELECT * FROM banners.... are there any column types to avoid?  We
>need to do about 200 lookups a second, and there are 160 rows in the
>table...

If you want specific optimizations, you'll need to show the WHERE clause
of your query.  From the queries you show above, it looks like you're
selecting a lot more rows that you need to, for example.  You're not
really selecting a fourth of the rows (section = 1, 2, 3, or 4) for each
query just to display banner ads, are you?

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
optimising a queryAdam Powell11 Jul