List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Adam Powell Date:July 11 1999 10:34am
Subject:optimising a query
View as plain text
Hi there... I was just wondering about the database processing overhead in
each of the following situations.  Basically I have a database of banners
(for an ad rotation script) that I want to SELECT from.  The load on the
database server got to high when I selected from ALL of them, so I split
them up into 4 sections and in 4 individual scripts did :

SELECT * FROM banners WHERE section=1
SELECT * FROM banners WHERE section=2
SELECT * FROM banners WHERE section=3
SELECT * FROM banners WHERE section=4

This helped get the load back down again.  However now I have come to a
point where I have to actually revert back to my old method as there are a
few more things I wish to do, targeting functions that must include the
whole range of banners.

Could anybody give me some pointers, and some tips in table design that will
speed up SELECT * FROM banners.... are there any column types to avoid?  We
need to do about 200 lookups a second, and there are 160 rows in the
table...

Adam

Thread
optimising a queryAdam Powell11 Jul
  • Re: [PHP3] optimising a queryPaul DuBois11 Jul
    • Re: [PHP3] optimising a queryAdam Powell11 Jul
      • Re: [PHP3] optimising a queryAriel11 Jul
    • Re: [PHP3] optimising a querySasha Pachev12 Jul
    • Re: [PHP3] optimising a queryAdam Powell12 Jul
    • Re: [PHP3] optimising a querySasha Pachev12 Jul
  • Re: optimising a querySasha Pachev12 Jul