List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:July 10 1999 2:48pm
Subject:Re: Backup / Restore / Copy
View as plain text
At 3:40 PM +0100 7/10/1999, Martin E. Koss wrote:
>I guess my question about Dump/Import would be well answered if I could read
>detailed guidance about how to: Backup a mySQL Database with the intention
>of Restoring it or Copying it to another Server.

Ah.  I thought you were talking about some text file you'd gotten
as a dump from some other non-MySQL source, like a tab-delimited
text file or something.

If your file was created as the output of mysqldump, then a command
you tried previously should work:

>Did that, and tried what I interpreted and it failed umpteen times. One
>tutorial tells me to use:
>mysql -u root mydb < mydb.dump

But you didn't provide us with any error messages, so we don't know
what went wrong.

Also, perhaps you could clarify: just how *did* you create this text
file?

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Backup / Restore / CopyMartin E. Koss10 Jul