List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:March 27 2001 10:45pm
Subject:Re: keywords in CREATE TABLE?
View as plain text
In the last episode (Mar 27), Cal Evans said:
> Thanks for the clarification.  I wasn't aware that MySQL (or any
> other SQL for that matter) stored records in a 'physical order'.  I
> know in M$ SQL there is no such concept as records are constantly
> being reused as the contents are deleted.  (and other optimization
> schemes are in place) These effectively destroy the concept of a
> 'physical' order of the records for all practical purposes.

MySQL doesn't store records in any particular order.  I think Thalis
was just saying that because most of the the time your primary key is
an autoincrement field, and it just so happens that when you insert
records, they automatically end up in 'primary key' order.

If you really need to sort your records on a particular key, you can
use myisamchk -R (or isamchk -R if you're still using ancient ISAM
tables).

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped
      • RE: keywords in CREATE TABLE?Cal Evans27 Mar
        • RE: keywords in CREATE TABLE?Thalis A. Kalfigopoulos27 Mar
          • RE: keywords in CREATE TABLE?Cal Evans27 Mar
            • Re: keywords in CREATE TABLE?Dan Nelson28 Mar
      • Documents & Spesifications Does Not MatchYusuf Incekara27 Mar
        • Re: Documents & Spesifications Does Not MatchMiguel Angel Sol√≥rzano28 Mar