List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:March 27 2001 6:28pm
Subject:Re: tinyint issue
View as plain text
At 7:49 PM +0200 3/27/01, Dacian Herbei wrote:
>     Hi,
>     I wonder if anyone had a problem like this one.
>     I have created a table with one field autoincrement. The field is
>tinyint(4).
>     whenever I try to introduce more then 127 records it refuses to
>introduce them.
>     I tried with tinyint(5) 6.. and so on. It works only with integer.
>     dacian

What you're trying to do is impossible.  TINYINT takes one byte, and
has a range of -128 to 127.  There's no way to get a larger value unless
you do one of the following:

- Declare your column to be UNSIGNED.  That changes the range to 0-255,
   but will only extend your range by 128 values.
- Declare your column using a larger integer type.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread