List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:July 9 1999 3:02am
Subject:Re: Re-Install of mysql - Will I lose data?
View as plain text
In the last episode (Jul 08), Brandon Shuey said:
>    [INLINE]
>
>    I have a database on an Ultra10 Solaris machine.  The drive with
>    the operating system failed and we had to re-install the OS.  Now
>    Mysql doesn't work correctly when called from Java.  I'm thinking
>    that we should re-install mysql again and that will clear up the
>    problems. However, I don't want to lose my database.  If I do
>    another install on the same directory will it wipe my existing
>    database?  (I don't have room on the drives to backup the entire
>    database.

What I do when I upgrade is rename /var/db/mysql to /var/db/mysql.orig,
upgrade, then rm -rf the mysql files created during the install and put
my mysql directory back.

You don't have room to back up the database?  You do back up to tape at
least, right?

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped
Thread
Re-Install of mysql - Will I lose data?(Brandon Shuey)9 Jul
  • Re: Re-Install of mysql - Will I lose data?Dan Nelson9 Jul
  • Re-Install of mysql - Will I lose data?Michael Widenius29 Jul