List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:March 20 1999 6:02pm
Subject:Re: MySQL & C API - Syntax
View as plain text
At 9:29 AM -0600 3/20/1999, Thomas R. Bedell wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Sorry about the stupid question.  But I am a FNG to C and MySQL.  But
>here goes>>>
>I am currently running Redhat 5.1, MySQL 3_22_20a, (I have installed
>Bench, Client and Devel packages also) and glibc-2_0_7-19.
>Now the stupid part:
>Can someone please provide the proper syntax to simply connect to MySQL.
>Assuming the Database is "test"?  I assume, I would use
>MySQL_Real_Connect().  As you know, If the syntax is not exactly  correct,
>I will get compile errors.
>Also, to avoid stupid questions in the future, can someone please point
>me to the proper C API manual for MySQL?

The C API is documented in the MySQL manual:

http://www.mysql.com/Manual_chapter/manual_toc.html

Take a look at chapter 18.

By the way, C is case sensitive.  The call is mysql_real_connect(),
not MySQL_Real_Connect().

Also, I suggest you grab a source distribution of MySQL, even if you
don't care about installing it.  You can take a look at the standard
MySQL clients (mysql, mysqladmin, mysqlshow, mysqldump, etc.) to see
how the C API is used in real programs.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
MySQL & C API - SyntaxThomas R. Bedell20 Mar