List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:July 8 1999 9:39pm
Subject:Re: 3.22.24 on FreeBSD-3.2 problem
View as plain text
Forrest Aldrich wrote:

> I posted this to the FreeBSD lists, and no response:
>
> [ 07-05-99 ]
> Up until today's make world, mysql 3.22.24 was working fine.  It now
> crashes with:
>
> ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
>
> The socket isn't even being created.
>
> I'm 90% certain it's a FreeBSD issue... all of our other OS's are running
> the same
> revision of mysql with no problems. (all compiled out of the ports collection)
>
> The server has been deinstalled, recompiled, reinstalled, etc.   Just for
> paranoia.
> It has been tested, running as root, and the problem still occurs.
>
> Anyone else see this problem?
>
> -F

Ok, the first step to resolving any problem is understanding the
diagnostic error message. The message you are getting says that your
MySQL client tried to connect to your MySQL server on a Unix socket with
the path /tmp/mysql.sock and was unable to do so. Some possible reasons
for this:

 - mysqld is not running
 - mysqld is running but is configured not to or simple cannot listen on
a Unix socket
 - mysqld is using the Unix socket at some other location

If your mysqld is actually running, try connecting to it via TCP/IP:

mysql -h `hostname` -uroot -pBigSecret

and run SHOW VARIABLES and SHOW STATUS (post the output)

If mysqld is not running, start it

If mysqld refuses to start, check the error log to see why it failed and
post the relevant info.

Most important, relax and do not stress. Even if you get fired over
MySQL not working on FreeBSD, IT market is good for
programmers/sysadmins nowdays, and you can find a job pretty fast :-)

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)