List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Vivek Khera Date:July 8 1999 8:35pm
Subject:Re: MIT threads on BSDI 3.0
View as plain text
>>>>> "s" == sam1600  <sam1600@stripped> writes:

s> BSDI 3.0 does not have native thread support so one must apply a
s> the BSDI3.0 thread patch M300-038? or the equivilent MIT patch?

BSD/OS 3.0 native pthreads are broken.  The patch you mention fixes
this.

s> BSDI 3.1 has all thread patches applied so there is no problem?

BSD/OS 3.1 is the sum of BSD/OS 3.0 plus all M300-XXX patches, so yes,
this would be true.  There are also many 3.1 patches to apply one of
which makes additional fixes to the pthreads libraries.

s> But if the mysql binary comes with its own libraries the problem
s> with threads on BSD 3.0 is mute if I use the binary above ( whitch
s> i do ) ?

When a program is compiled, it can either use shared libraries which
are dependent on your system, or it can be statically linked which
would bring all code from the build system into the executable.  The
libraries on your system will not matter.  The binary distribution of
a program does not need to install libraries as the necessary parts
are built into the prorgam itself.

s> Also My Isp says that there are using 3.1.  They must be giving me
s> a line of crap because it reports to me 3.0.

If "uname -r" says 3.0, then they did not upgrade properly to 3.1.

s> What would be the syntax for grep to find the M300-038 patch?

The "modlog" program lists all patches installed, so something like
this will tell you if M300-038 is installed:

 modlog | grep M300-038

Or you can read the output of modlog and look for that patch by eye.

Internet: khera@stripped       Rockville, MD       +1-301-545-6996
PGP & MIME spoken here            http://www.kciLink.com/home/khera/
Thread
MIT threads on BSDI 3.0sam16008 Jul
  • MIT threads on BSDI 3.0Michael Widenius8 Jul
    • Re: MIT threads on BSDI 3.0Patrick Greenwell8 Jul
  • Re: MIT threads on BSDI 3.0Vivek Khera8 Jul
Re: MIT threads on BSDI 3.0sam16009 Jul
  • Re: MIT threads on BSDI 3.0Vivek Khera9 Jul