List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:March 14 2001 6:49pm
Subject:Re: In some circumstances it can be beneficial to split into two a table that is scanned very often
View as plain text
In the last episode (Mar 14), abdelhamid bettache said:
>   "In some circumstances it can be beneficial to split into two a
> table that is scanned very often" I found these sentence in the mysql
> manual , section 12.3:Get your Data as small as possible
>
>   Does every body know what are these circumstances?

Say you have a table of dated records (web log, or some other
transaction log), and you run lots of "last 24 hours" reports, you can
speed up those queries by creating Current and Old tables.  You insert
into Current, and every night, shift the previous day's records into
Old.

If you create a MERGE table joining the two, you can still do queries
over both tables as though they were one, when you need to.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped