List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:July 7 1999 6:45pm
Subject:Re: mysql and letter case
View as plain text
At 9:35 PM +0200 7/7/1999, Peter Skliarouk wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Is there any way to make mysql not to distinguish between
>lowercase and uppercase letters in DB/tables/field names?
>
>Send reply to me directly please, as I'm not subscribed to the
>mailing list.

MySQL already doesn't distinguish lettercase for field names.

For database and table names, the behavior depends on the behavior
of the underlying operating system, since databases are represented
as directories, and tables as files.  If your file system has
case sensitive names (like UNIX), database and table names are
case sensitive.  If the file system is not case sensitive (like
Windows), neither are database and table names.

The way to make MySQL not distinguish them is to pick a given
lettercase (e.g., lowercase) and *always* use it when creating
databases and tables.  Then it won't be an issue.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
mysql and letter casePeter Skliarouk7 Jul