List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:July 7 1999 6:21pm
Subject:Re: FreeBSD and --enable-assembler
View as plain text
In the last episode (Jul 07), Martin Nilsson said:
> I've managed to compile mysql 3.22.23b with --enable-assembler on
> FreeBSD-3.2-STABLE and FreeBSD-4.0-CURRENT as of yesterday if I
> change all comment characters in strings/strings.s and
> strings/longlong2str-x86.s from / to #, I don't know if this is
> a valid syntax on other platforms as well but it works here.
>
> It seems that the FBSD assembler gets confused on lines with a command
> without arguments but with a comment started by /  as the lines below:
>       std                             / Work downward
>       movsb                           / One byte a time because overlap
> !

According to the gas info page, the only valid comments should be

/* */   c-style comments and
#       shell-script-style comments

FreeBSD does not use "/" as a comment because then lines like this:

movw  $(SCR_ROW-1)*SCR_COL/2, %cx         # Words to move

would fail because the division symbol would be interpreted as a
comment :)

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped
Thread
FreeBSD and --enable-assemblerMartin Nilsson7 Jul
  • Re: FreeBSD and --enable-assemblerDan Nelson7 Jul
    • Re: FreeBSD and --enable-assemblerMichael Widenius8 Jul