List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:July 7 1999 3:41pm
Subject:Re: Performace Tuning in MySQL
View as plain text
>>>>> "Orlando" == Orlando Andico <orly@stripped> writes:

Orlando> On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Sasha Pachev wrote:
Orlando> ..
>> You should normalize. I cannot think of a situation when it would not be
>> good to normalize, can anyone ?

Orlando> While on this topic.. I have an 800.000 row table, fully normalized (a
Orlando> Radius detail log). I want to do SELECT SUM(Acct_Session_Time) FROM
Orlando> radius_acct WHERE Act_Timestamp BETWEEN xxx AND yyy.

Orlando> I have indices on everything in sight. The query take 10 seconds to run
Orlando> (often more!!) Does SUM() do a full table scan? can I improve performance?
Orlando> I'm using Monty's safe_mysqld startup parameters for a 256MB box (except I
Orlando> have 512MB and two processors). This machine's ONLY job is to do Radius
Orlando> AAA to a Mysql database.

Orlando> Can I speed up queries any? or am I I/O bound? a single Cheetah drive is
Orlando> dedicated to the Mysql data. I am looking at a linux software RAID (via
Orlando> MD) in the short term, a Sun StorEdge HARDPAC in the long term. Will
Orlando> having more spindles help me any?

Hi!

All the answers to the above questions can be found if you just mail
us the output from the following queries:

SHOW VARIABLES;
EXPLAIN SELECT ...
FLUSH STATUS;
SELECT ......
SHOW STATUS;

You can find information how to do a correct bug report at:

http://www.tcx.se/Manual_chapter/manual_Questions.html#Asking_questions

PLEASE read the above before reposting your question, this will save us all
a lot of time!

Yours,
Monty
Thread
Performace Tuning in MySQLGeocrawler.com6 Jul
  • Re: Performace Tuning in MySQLSasha Pachev6 Jul
    • Re: Performace Tuning in MySQLOrlando Andico7 Jul
      • Re: Performace Tuning in MySQLMichael Widenius7 Jul
RE: Performace Tuning in MySQLJohn Foley8 Jul