List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:February 21 2001 11:33pm
Subject:Re: Printed MySQL manual
View as plain text
On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 04:05:06PM -0500, Thalis A. Kalfigopoulos wrote:
> > Denis:
> >
> > I'm not sure you really want a printed MySQL manual ... the software is
> > dynamic, and is constantly being upgraded. The online manual is updated
> > frequently, and is closer to the software you may be using.
> >
> > As an alternative, I would suggest one of the fine books on MySQL. Our
> > developers each have a copy of the Paul DuBois book ("MySQL" / New Riders)
> > as well as the O'Reilly book "MySQL & mSQL". Both are excellent learning
> and
> > reference resources, and are invaluable in understanding and applying SQL
> > syntax.
>
> I assume both are pretty good (I can verify that the 2nd one is indeed), but still
> they are begining to show signs of their age. Mysql develops very fast and they are both
> '99 books (IIRC). Does anyone know of any plans for 2nd editions?
>
> cheers,
> thalis

There are hopes for a 2nd edition of the New Riders book.  However, at
the moment that's a little premature, because I want it to cover MySQL 4.0,
and, while good progress is being made on that version, it *is* still
very much in progress.  Also, I'm very busy right now on a couple of
other MySQL-related books, which kinda takes up most (all) of my time at
the moment. :-)
Thread
Printed MySQL manualDenis L. Menezes20 Feb
  • Help with access denieddiego López20 Feb
    • Re: Help with access deniedMohamad Ilhami20 Feb
      • RE: Help with access denieddiego López20 Feb
      • Re: Help with access deniedGerald L. Clark20 Feb
  • RE: Printed MySQL manualDon Read20 Feb
    • RE: Printed MySQL manualThomas Spahni26 Feb
  • Re: Help with access deniedRolf Hopkins20 Feb
  • Re: Printed MySQL manualGerald Jensen21 Feb
    • Re: Printed MySQL manualThalis A. Kalfigopoulos21 Feb
      • Re: Printed MySQL manualScott Baker21 Feb
      • Re: Printed MySQL manualPaul DuBois22 Feb
RE: Printed MySQL manualChris M. Oson22 Feb
Re: Printed MySQL manualEd Carp22 Feb
RE: Printed MySQL manualJulian Strickland22 Feb