List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:July 4 1999 10:24pm
Subject:Swedish characters in table/column names
View as plain text
>>>>> "Martin" == Martin Edelius <martin.edelius@stripped> writes:

Martin> Hi all.
Martin> I've upgraded to 3.22.23b but I still can't get åäö (Swedish
> characters)
Martin> to work in table/column names. When checking the manual I see in the
Martin> features list that MySQL can handle it but I can't find any info on if
Martin> it's on by default. I've installed the RPM's, both client and server, on
Martin> a RH 5.2 server.

Martin> When doing 'mysqladmin variables' the only language specification I see
Martin> is this:
Martin> | language                   | /usr/share/mysql/english/ |
Martin> which I assume is for reporting errors and such. Am I correct in this or
Martin> do I need to recompile with support for Swedish characters in
Martin> table/column names?

Yes.  The 'language' is just for error messages.  By default mysql is
compiled with ISO-Latin1, which supports Swedish characters.

The RPM should work directly.

Martin> When trying to create a table like this:
Martin> create table Common
Martin> (
Martin>         UIV int(16) unsigned not null,
Martin>         Status int(16) unsigned not null,
Martin>         Apparatägare int(16) unsigned,
Martin>         Modell int(16) unsigned,
Martin>         Fabrikat char(80) not null,
Martin> [snip]

Martin> I get this error:
Martin> ERROR 1064 at line 3: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'gare
Martin> int(16) unsigned,
Martin>         Modell int(16) unsigned,
Martin>         Fabrikat char(80) not null, ' at line 5

The above worked for me :(

What MySQL client are you using?

Have you tried to put the above in a text file and execute it from
there with  "mysql database < file.sql"

Regards,
Monty

Thread
Swedish characters in table/column namesMartin Edelius4 Jul
  • Swedish characters in table/column namesMichael Widenius5 Jul