List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Darrell Shifflett Date:July 4 1999 4:35am
Subject:Re: select * from database.table doesn't work
View as plain text
On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Jon E. Mitchiner wrote:

> mysql> select * from mysql.user;
> ERROR 1017: Can't find file: 'user.frm' (errno: 2)
> mysql> use mysql;
> Reading table information for completion of table and column names
> You can turn off this feature to get a quicker startup with -A

Select a database:   use mysql
Then: show tables;
select * from table_name;

> Database changed
> mysql> select * from user;
> +-------------------+-----------+------------------+-------------+----------
> ---+-------------+-------------+-------------+-----------+-------------+----
> -----------+--------------+-----------+
> | Host              | User      | Password         | Select_priv |
> Insert_priv | Update_priv | Delete_priv | Create_priv | Drop_priv |
> Reload_priv | Shutdown_priv | Process_priv | File_priv |
> +-------------------+-----------+------------------+-------------+----------
> ---+-------------+-------------+-------------+-----------+-------------+----
> -----------+--------------+-----------+
>
> So naturally I'm a bit confused here why the first command doesnt work, but
> if I use the 'use mysql' and then manually switch, it then works.
>
> What can I do in order to be able to use "select * from database.table"?

MySQL comes with a 'mysql' and 'test' databases. Select one first. Or
create databasename;
use new_databasename

Its all in the docs listed below

Thread
select * from database.table doesn't workJon E. Mitchiner4 Jul
  • Re: select * from database.table doesn't workPaul DuBois4 Jul
  • Re: select * from database.table doesn't workDarrell Shifflett4 Jul