List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:February 7 2001 10:24pm
Subject:Re: slicing strings for comparison?
View as plain text
In the last episode (Feb 07), Cal Evans said:
> Does the post office offer this info?  There used to be a service (Melissa)
> that had Lat. and Long. for the center of each zip code. You could use that
> to computer "all addresses in a 50 mile radius". but from what I understand,
> it's gone now.  I would love to find something where I could make these kind
> of comparisons.  Gotta URL ?

The US Postal service sells a database called TIGER/ZIP+4, which is a
combination of USPS and Census bureau data.  The official page is at

http://www.usps.gov/ncsc/products/tiger.htm

, but if you're content with old data, you can download the 1999
version of the file at

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/zip1999.html

--
	Dan Nelson