List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Russ Davies Date:February 6 2001 6:35pm
Subject:Boolean Datatype
View as plain text
I am working with an NT4.0 platform, mySQL 3.23 and using ASP and myODBC to access my
data.

I was hoping to find a BOOLEAN data type within mySQL which would allow me to pass either
'True' or 'False' in - but it appears there isn't one?
Using 'BOOL' as the column type appears to create a tinyint - taking ranges from (as
usual) -127 to 127.

This is a *real* inconvenience. I can of course change the data from a '1' or a '0' to
True and False on the way in and out of the database, but this is alot of extra coding,
extra work on the part of the script and makes the code a great deal more unreadable. I
really wanted to try mySQL on my personal site - if it is good enough in a development
environment I may then go on to reccomend it to my company, but this seems a bit awkward
and I'm sure I would take criticism if I can't answer this question.
I have searched Google and the mySQL manual for  'boolean datatype' and other similar
searches.

Is there a datatype or an easier workaround for this?

Many thanks in advance,

Russ Davies

Thread
Boolean DatatypeRuss Davies6 Feb
RE: Boolean DatatypeChris M. Oson6 Feb
  • Re: Boolean DatatypeRuss Davies6 Feb
    • Re: Boolean DatatypeVivek Khera6 Feb
    • RE: Boolean DatatypeRoger Ramirez6 Feb
  • Re: Boolean DatatypeRuss Davies6 Feb
RE: Boolean DatatypeChris M. Oson6 Feb
  • Re: Boolean DatatypeRuss Davies6 Feb
  • Re: Boolean DatatypeMatt Friedman6 Feb
  • Re: Boolean DatatypeRuss Davies6 Feb
  • Re: Boolean DatatypeGregg Housh6 Feb
  • Re: Boolean DatatypeRolf Hopkins7 Feb
Re: Boolean Datatypebtjones6 Feb
Re: Boolean DatatypeGregg Housh6 Feb
Antwort: Boolean Datatypealexander.skwar7 Feb