List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:July 2 1999 4:04am
Subject:Re: How Do I Configure My Environment??
View as plain text
Bill Hines wrote:

> I'm trying to get a web site up for a non-profit, and have a company hosting
> it for free. The catch is that they won't give me support, because they're
> hosting for free. I'm trying to telnet in and start using mysql per the
> tutorial at mysql.com. However, each command results in "mysql not found".
> The tech support at the host says:
>
> "You need to configure your environment. MySQL can be found at:
> /usr/local/mysql/bin."
>
> I can't get back in touch with them, and not supposed to, so can someone
> tell me what I have to do?? I'm not very good with Unix, probably something
> like adding it to the path?
>
> Thanks in advance, Bill Hines

First find out what shell you are using:

echo $SHELL

if it is csh or one of its friends

setenv PATH "$PATH:/usr/local/mysql/bin"

If it is sh or its friends

PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/mysql/bin; export PATH

Alternatively you could add the appropriate line to your shell login
script.
The name of it will depend on the shell you are using, some possible
names:

.profile - sh, bash
.cshrc - csh
.tcshrc - tcsh

I cannot tell you off the top of my head what it is for the ksh, have
not messed with it very, much. If you do have a shell that I have not
covered, let me know.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com