List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Karl Pielorz Date:June 30 1999 11:15pm
Subject:Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?
View as plain text
Kelly Yancey wrote:
>   I have seen the same comments on this mail list that I believe you are
> alluding to. I would like to add to the record, that I have *never* had any
> problem with MySQL. I installed it from the FreeBSD ports collection and it
> has served me reliably ever since.

Same here... We have run it on a number of different boxes (from 2.2.7-8, 3.0
and now FreeBSD -current). Native threads are a winner over MIT threads, and
egcs from -current can squeeze a bit more out the executable with
optimizations. Performance on our database (~5 million records spread over
around 300-400 tables) has been staggering, in some cases quite scary :-)
(Especially compared to other SQL servers we have tried).

This is getting off-topic, but at the moment we have 3 identical replacement
servers sitting around, and a guy in the office who is heavily into Linux...
If I get a chance I might try running the servers head to head, and post a URL
of the results... :) I Don't think Linux will be 'bad', it may even be
slightly faster [I suspect there will be little in it] - but I prefer FreeBSD
under load anyday... <g>

-Karl
Thread
mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker10 Jun
  • mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsMichael Widenius10 Jun
    • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsSasha Pachev23 Jun
        • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statements(Paul D. Smith)23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsSasha Pachev24 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statements(Paul D. Smith)24 Jun
      • Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysSasha Pachev24 Jun
        • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysPatrick Greenwell24 Jun
          • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysSasha Pachev24 Jun
            • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysPatrick Greenwell24 Jun
          • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big Guysathompso24 Jun
        • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysUnknown Sender24 Jun
RE: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysJohn Foley24 Jun
  • concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?chas29 Jun
    • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Suresh Rajagopalan29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Jon Drukman29 Jun
        • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Suresh Rajagopalan29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Scott Hess29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Vivek Khera29 Jun
    • RE: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Kelly Yancey29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Karl Pielorz1 Jul
        • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Don Read1 Jul
          • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?chas7 Jul
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysFred Lindberg24 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysDerick H Siddoway24 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysKevin Ying25 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysDerick H Siddoway28 Jun
Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Nazar7 Jul