List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Richard Reina Date:January 17 2001 9:58pm
Subject:Re: Frontend Dilema
View as plain text
Thanks for the reply.  Curses worked OK.  But I was convinced that a web
server would be more efficient than NFS for sharing the database files.
Is that true?  Or is a NFS a longtime viable solution for clients on the
LAN quering the database.

Richard

"Jeremy D. Zawodny" wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 03:17:52PM -0600, Richard Reina wrote:
>
> > I run a small business.  A year and a half ago I embarked on a
> > jorney to port my DOS Foxpro Database to linux.  I selected mysql as
> > an the engine and and begand writing the app. using perl/dbi and
> > perlmenu module/curses as the front end at first I used NFS to share
> > the databse files on the LAN.  I was soon after convinced by a perl
> > gut to ditch NFS as and use apach/mod_perl and write the front end
> > in HTML.
> >
> > I hired someone to help me and we wrote the first phase and I hate
> > the frontend.  I hate having to hit submit after every entry.  I
> > hate the way a browser looks and the wait it feels.  We're even
> > tried using w3m I still hate it.  I'm looking for a NON GRAPHICAL
> > interface taht I guess would work with apache mod-perl.  Any
> > suggestions?  Does Perl Tk fit this bill?
>
> Perl/Tk is for generating GUIs, which you don't want.
>
> I don't understand what's wrong with the curses/DBI approach. It
> should work fine. There's not need for mod_perl and Apache if there is
> not supposed to be a web interface.
>
> Jeremy
> --
> Jeremy D. Zawodny, <jzawodn@stripped>
> Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance
> Desk: (408) 328-7878    Fax: (408) 530-5454
> Cell: (408) 439-9951
Thread
Frontend DilemaRichard Reina18 Jan
  • Re: Frontend DilemaJeremy D. Zawodny18 Jan
  • Re: Frontend DilemaRichard Reina18 Jan
    • Re: Frontend DilemaJeremy D. Zawodny18 Jan
      • Re: Frontend DilemaJeremy D. Zawodny18 Jan
    • RE: Frontend DilemaScott Gerhardt18 Jan
  • Re: Frontend DilemaGerald L. Clark18 Jan
  • Re: Frontend DilemaRichard Reina19 Jan
  • Re: Frontend DilemaHarald Fuchs19 Jan
AW: Frontend DilemaMartin Mrvka19 Jan