List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Karl Pielorz Date:March 19 1999 4:29pm
Subject:Re: fastCPU vs moreRAM
View as plain text
Derick H Siddoway wrote:

> As an extreme case, a couple of years ago I ran some informal
> tests on a 386sx with 128MB of RAM versus a pentium200 with 8MB
> of RAM, and the 386 won almost every time.

You sure that was a 386sx? - They only had 24 bit address busses = 2^24 = 16Mb
of RAM max... :-(

I still agree though - with most Databases more RAM = better... Most O/S's
(and even Mysql) provide performance monitors for watching what the machines
processes are doing (i.e. excessive swapping, disk access etc.)

-Karl
Thread
fastCPU vs moreRAMScott Moseman18 Mar
  • Re: fastCPU vs moreRAMWade Maxfield18 Mar
  • Re: fastCPU vs moreRAMSasha Pachev19 Mar
  • Re: fastCPU vs moreRAMHironori Sato19 Mar
Re: fastCPU vs moreRAMDerick H Siddoway19 Mar
Re: fastCPU vs moreRAMDerick H Siddoway19 Mar
Re: fastCPU vs moreRAMKarl Pielorz19 Mar
Re: fastCPU vs moreRAMWade Maxfield19 Mar
  • Re: fastCPU vs moreRAMAdrian Phillips19 Mar