List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:June 29 1999 11:11am
Subject:Re: Help with advice
View as plain text
kit wrote:

> Dear all
>
> I am currently in a process of chosing database servers.
> I am not sure if MySQL can accomodate a table of at least
> 1 million records.  As for searching time, is MySQL fast
> enough to do searching in such a huge table.
>
> Thank you very much in advance.
>
> -kit

MySQL can handle 1 million records just fine, many people have done it.

If you index your table properly, SELECT statements go fast. This
applies not only to MySQL but to all SQL databases.

MySQL is generally faster than the databases that implement transaction
processing. If you can live without transactions or code around when you
need them, MySQL is the best database I am aware of.

The reason for the low cost/free availability in certain situations of
MySQL is not its quality - Monty is just a nice guy :-)

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)