List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Derick H Siddoway Date:March 19 1999 4:11pm
Subject:Re: fastCPU vs moreRAM
View as plain text
My initial response is more RAM.  I reason that no matter how
fast your processor is, if you end up swapping stuff in and out
of memory, you're going to be held hostage by the disk's data
transfer rate.  Even with ultra-scsi, that's a heck of a lot
slower than memory accesses.

As an extreme case, a couple of years ago I ran some informal
tests on a 386sx with 128MB of RAM versus a pentium200 with 8MB
of RAM, and the 386 won almost every time.

--
derick