List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:John Banks Date:March 19 1999 3:37pm
Subject:Re: Experiences with mysql on Alpha Linux
View as plain text
Hi,
   Thanks for this hints. It looks like it was linuxthreads that was the
culprit. After rebuilding a statically linked binary with the patches to
the threads library from the mysql site it seems a lot more stable.
Given that this bug was known way back with Redhat 5.0 I'm rather
disappointed that Redhat _still_ haven't fixed this in the libraries
shipped with 5.2.
   As rebuilding glibc from source is pretty painful (even on a 600 MHz
Alpha) I've put the mysql binaries up on
http://www.state51.co.uk/sharing/ in case these are useful for anyone
else.

             Cheers,
                John

Michael Widenius wrote:

> John> Hi,
> John>   Does anyone on this list have an experiences (good or bad) with using
> John> mysql in a production environment on the Linux Alpha platform?
> John>   We're currently moving servers over from FreeBSD/Intel and are having
> John> a few problems with mysql hanging intermittently. I'm currently going
> John> through upgrading kernel, egcs, glibc, linuxthreads & everthing else I
> John> can think of to try and sort this...
>
> John>          Thanks,
> John>            John
>
> John> --
> John> ========     John Banks    -    john@stripped     ========
>
> Hi!
>
> The two problems on Linux-Alpha have been Linuxthreads and the
> gcc 2.8.1 !
>
> If you have a new glibc and use the following configure line, then it
> should work:
>
> CFLAGS="-O6 -mpentium -fomit-frame-pointer" CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS="-O6
> -mpentium -fomit-frame-pointer -felide-constructors -fno-exceptions
> -fno-rtti" ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
> -with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static --disable-shared
>
> If not, please read the manual section 'Debugging mysql' to find out what
> could be wrong.
>
> Regards,
> Monty

========     John Banks    -    john@stripped     ========
Thread
Experiences with mysql on Alpha LinuxJohn Banks19 Mar
  • Experiences with mysql on Alpha LinuxMichael Widenius19 Mar
  • Re: Experiences with mysql on Alpha LinuxJohn Banks19 Mar
  • Re: Experiences with mysql on Alpha LinuxJohn Banks29 Mar
    • Re: Experiences with mysql on Alpha LinuxMichael Widenius29 Mar
  • Re: MySQL++ API HelpSinisa Milivojevic4 Jun
Re: Experiences with mysql on Alpha LinuxAnthony Rumble30 Mar