List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:June 29 1999 2:21am
Subject:Question about handling blob data
View as plain text
>>>>> "Eric" == Eric Andrews <Eric_Andrews@stripped> writes:

Eric> I am using MySQL verision 3.21.33b on a Sun Solaris platform. The
Eric> documentation states that to handle blob data that the NULL, backslash,
Eric> single quote, and double quote characters need to be escaped. Does this
Eric> mean I need to parse a binary file one character at a time to find these
Eric> characters to escape them? Is there a way I can handle the blob I want to
Eric> insert or retrieve (SELECT) as real binary data and not text? Is blob data
Eric> such as audio files and video files treated the same as a large text file ?
Eric> To escape characters upon insert and then have to un-escape them upon
Eric> select seems like it could be a little slow on performance.

Eric> Sincerely,
Eric> Eric Andrews
Eric> eric_andrews@stripped

Hi!

You must escape blobs when you insert them into MySQL, as else the SQL
statement will not be a legal SQL statement.  Fortunately almost all
MySQL clients has functions to do the escaping.

When you retrieve the BLOB, you don't need to do any unescaping!

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Question about handling blob dataEric Andrews28 Jun
  • Question about handling blob dataMichael Widenius29 Jun