List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:January 6 2001 5:11pm
Subject:Re: MySQL 3.23.30-gamma
View as plain text
Hi!

This has been a long thread, but I think its better if I just answer
this copy...

Christian> Hi
Christian> I once mailed a bug report regarding an backwards incompatibility of
> mysqldump
Christian> to the mailing list but got no responses. I hope you can fix this for the
Christian> release version.

Christian> The following quote is from a bug report against the mysql-server package
Christian> which I maintain for the Debian distro. The used one of the latest 3.23.x
Christian> versions.

>> when i try to dump any database or table with mysqldump on my woody, i get:
>> # MySQL dump 8.11
>> #
>> # Host: athena    Database: sgs
>> #--------------------------------------------------------
>> # Server version        3.22.32
>> mysqldump: Can't get CREATE TABLE for table 'contact' (You have an error in your
>> +SQL syntax near 'create table contact' at line 1)
>>
>> this worked fine in october ...

Christian> This bug is reproduceable by me. I used:

Christian> ch@xeniac:~$ mysqldump --host=myhost.mydomain.de --no-data dbname tablename

Christian> bye,

As long as you use mysqldump without --opt it should be compatible
with previous versions.  The main a dump wouldn't work from version to
version is if have a table where a colum name would be a reserved word
in a future version, but this isn't what we are talking about here!

I did a check of this and it seams that when Sergei did his change of
mysqldump to use the new 'SHOW CREATE TABLE' statement he didn't
manage to do this in such a way that it should work with old mysqld
servers;  That was however the intention and we will fix this in the
next MySQL release. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Compiling Error! Please help!!!Pedro Inacio12 Mar
  • Re: Compiling Error! Please help!!!Thimble Smith12 Mar
  • Re: MySQL 3.23.30-gammaChristian Hammers5 Jan
    • Re: MySQL 3.23.30-gammaSinisa Milivojevic5 Jan
      • Re: MySQL 3.23.30-gammaBenjamin Pflugmann5 Jan
        • Re: MySQL 3.23.30-gammaChristian Hammers5 Jan
        • Re: MySQL 3.23.30-gammaBasil Hussain8 Jan
    • Re: MySQL 3.23.30-gammaMichael Widenius6 Jan
    • Re: MySQL 3.23.30-gammaMichael Widenius6 Jan
  • Re: MySQL 3.23.30-gammaT├Ánu Samuel6 Jan
  • compiling MySQL 3.23.3x on Cobalt RAQ2Harald Kapper23 Jan
Re: MySQL 3.23.30-gammaMichael Widenius7 Jan