List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jody Williams Date:January 5 2001 6:40pm
Subject:Re: Meaning of SHOW TABLE STATUS info? (Was: How to find mostrecently
added table in a database)
View as plain text
What version was this added in?  I have 3.22.27.

The output I have is:

mysql> SHOW TABLE STATUS;
ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'TABLE STATUS;' at
line 1

Basil Hussain wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> > "SHOW TABLE STATUS" has a "Create_Time" column.
>
> I must've missed this in the manual. It's really quite useful and revealing.
> So, I have a question about a bit of info it provides.
>
> I see that the 'Data_free' column shows the (to quote from the manual)
> "number of allocated but not used bytes". I ran it on a couple of databases
> on my MySQL server and saw that this column showed a fairly large number for
> some frequently updated tables. For example, one table that gets a batch of
> thousands of records deleted and imported into it every day showed 77,004
> bytes unused.
>
> Firstly, if there is a reasonable amount of bytes unused, would this
> indicate that the table needs to have OPTIMIZE TABLE run on it, or is it
> nothing to worry about?
>
> Secondly, what would be a reasonable figure be in order to make it worth
> optimising?
>
> Regards,

> If you have a broken mail client that cannot send a message to
> the above address (Microsoft Outlook), you can use:
How to find most recently added table in a databasePeter T Garner5 Jan
  • Re: How to find most recently added table in a databaseDavid Hodgkinson5 Jan
  • Re: How to find most recently added table in a databaseBasil Hussain5 Jan
  • Re: How to find most recently added table in a databasePeter T Garner5 Jan
  • Re: How to find most recently added table in a databaseDan Nelson5 Jan
    • Meaning of SHOW TABLE STATUS info? (Was: How to find mostrecently added table in a database)Basil Hussain5 Jan
      • Re: Meaning of SHOW TABLE STATUS info? (Was: How to find mostrecently added table in a database)Jody Williams5 Jan
        • RE: Meaning of SHOW TABLE STATUS info?Carsten H. Pedersen5 Jan
          • Re: Meaning of SHOW TABLE STATUS info?Tim Bunce8 Jan