List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:January 5 2001 4:56pm
Subject:Re: Performance differences. Anyone can answer my question? (Query pulling more data over remote link than over local)
View as plain text
In the last episode (Jan 05), Apolinaras  Apollo  Sinkevicius - Carmel Music &
Entertainment said:

> I have same set-up in my office as at home (computers identical,
> database front end, and MyODBC settings too). The only difference is
> that I am sitting on a cable connection instead of ethernet. Speed of
> the link is not an issue here. I actualy measured how much data is
> being sent over from MySQL server to my client (I made sure there
> were no other transactions happening). WHY MYSQL IS SENDING ABOUT
> TWICE AS MUCH DATA FOR THE SAME QUERY (NOT NUMBER OF RECORDS BUT
> QUANTITIY OF INFO AS A TRAFFIC)? I am performing identical actions,
> just ammount of data for most of the queries is like at least
> double?!?!? One query pulls out about 500KB of data, but when I am
> doing work from home same query pulls arround a 1.5 Meg?!? Does MySQL
> function differently when host IP is not local subnet? Any clues
> would be appretiated.

You're positive both machines are identical?  Same version of MyODBC,
same version of Access, same patches?  Turn logging on in mysql and
check the queries sent by both clients.  Also check your MyODBC
settings and make sure the "use compressed protocol" box is set the
same on both machines.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped