List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:January 4 2001 5:44pm
Subject:Re: ^| at password prompt causes core dump.
View as plain text
In the last episode (Jan 04), Joe Modjeski said:
> I found this while starting the mysql client:
> mysql -uroot -p
> Enter password: ^| Quit(core dumped)
>
> I would not have found problem had I not hit the ctrl key instead of
> the shift key.

This is not a bug; it's supposed to to that.  ^\ is a special terminal
control sequence, just like ^C is.  It's bound to the 'quit' action,
which by default sends a SIGQUIT to the running process, which usually
coredups.  Run "stty -a" to see a list of other special control
characters.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped