List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:June 28 1999 11:17am
Subject:Re: mysql and linux
View as plain text
Sanjeeb Bhuyan wrote:

> Hi,
>   I need help urgently...Paul,Monty,Chris,Mike,anybody??i install the latest
> version of mysql  fine...mysql_install_db works...when i try a safe_mysqld,i
> get --Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
> mysqld daemon ended
> and with mysqld ,i get --990627 22:38:23  Can't start server: Bind on TCP/IP
> port: Address already in use
> 990627 22:38:23  Do you already have another mysqld server running on port:
> 3307
> ?
> 990627 22:38:23  Aborting
>       i did a --
> MYSQL_UNIX_PORT=/tmp/mysqld-new.sock
>      shell> MYSQL_TCP_PORT=3307
>      shell> export MYSQL_UNIX_PORT MYSQL_TCP_PORT
>
> and then i was able to start mysqld,but got errors with mysqladmin...i then
> did a "ps",and killed the mysql processes,and now i'm back to square
> one...mysql_install_db works,but thats it...
>
>         please,please help me out!!i need help urgently!
>                       thanx!
>                          sanjeeb

Sanjeeb:

First, relax, and do not be stressed. When you put yourself under
pressure, you only make it worse. You will make a mess that no expert
will ever be able to fix by any other means than formating the disk and
starting from scratch. If your boss is a jerk, start looking for a
diffrent job.

The problem you had was that you did not actually kill mysqld before you
tried to start a new copy, or maybe you still had some connection to the
old instance that you did not close, which left a lingering socket, so
the new copy of the daemon could not bind to  port 3306.

A few suggestion that will help you deal with Unix/MySQL (and other)
problems better:

  - When you do not know something, give yourself some time to play with
it until you have at least learned some basics, and have some
understanding of the process. Do not start setting up a production
system until after you've done some basic learning. You do not have to
take a course, just allow yourself to play in a test environment for a
day or two - this will save you a lot of time

  - When something does not work, approach it from a different angle -
rather than saying "It does not work - help!", ask yourself : "What
knowledge do I lack to understand why it does  not work and fix it?" ,
then "What part of the manual do I need to read to get that knowledge?",
then "What question do I need to ask on the list to understand what is
happening?". So rather than expecting some "guru" to come and fix your
problem, do what it takes to become a "guru".

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)