List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:June 28 1999 2:32am
Subject:Re: question concerning: auto_increment and last inserted elements
View as plain text
At 12:31 PM -0400 6/27/1999, Alexander Haubold wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have set up a table in MySQL with the first column as an auto_increment.
>The incrementing works fine, except in the following case, as outlined in
>the documentation (7.6 CREATE TABLE syntax, second note in the list after
>the definition). When the currently last element is deleted, i.e. the one
>with the highest key value, this value will be reused, instead of
>incremented on the next instance of INSERT. How can I override this
>"feature", so that no matter what, the key value will be incremented on
>each INSERT, independent of the last item.
>I would highly appreciate someone's help in this matter.

You can't, until 3.23 comes out.  Then the problem will go away,
since it will include strictly increasing values for AUTO_INCREMENT
columns.  I assume this means it will become even more difficult
to document how AUTO_INCREMENT behaves. :-)

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
question concerning: auto_increment and last inserted elementsAlexander Haubold28 Jun