List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:jonathan michaels Date:June 26 1999 11:55pm
Subject:Re: mySQL Newsgroup?
View as plain text
On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 11:36:36AM +0200, Jonathan wrote:
> >If you go to the URL http://www.tcx.se/doc.html and look down toward the
> >bottom of that page, you will see a paragraph that says:
> >
> >All mysql mails are also archived at a news server at:
> >
> >Essentially I have a one way gateway of the mysql list to my news server.
> >I can't handle the large mail volume either, but do want to be able to skim
> >through the list for valuable informations.  Since I was reading it off my
> >newsserver, I might as well make it available for everyone else.
> >
> >Enjoy.
>
> Cool. What software are you using as mail>news gateway? Question to the
> list: Are there enough people interested in such a service over here in
> Europe? Cause if there is we can set up a similar mail>news gateway here in
> the Netherlands.

you may have a hard time getting it adopted in
comp.someting.someting.mysql, sorry its ben so long since 'vel
looked at the news tree i've forgotten what it looks like these
days.

so this leaves that other monstrosity, ummm, sorry, hierachary
alt....whatever.mysql, how are the proposer of such a setup
going to manage teh spam content .. makie the newsgroup closed
or moderated ?

these days peole are turning away from newsgroups in droves
because of teh spam problems .. thye are coming to
mailinglists, even these are not totaly immune, even if they
are closed and or moderated .. expesially if thye get to a size
where it is not possble for one person to do the moderation
effectively because of the bulk involved.

i'm not against a newsgroup format, or a mail-to-news, hell i
ran my own news servers and several mail-to-news gateways and
several dozen open mailinglist, and about 6 or 8 moderated and
completely closed (read secure) mailinglists .. for someting
like 10 years. i stoped recsently because of failing health and
the onslaught of what is starting to look like ms or msd the drs
are not sure, yet. so please excuse my spelling, its getting
hard to type, especially when tired.

we have a nice thing going here, it would be a shame to have it
trashed my spam .. or the sideffects of too much work, too much
cost for the bulk trafic (here in australia we pay fro minutes
used and bytes sent in and out .. i'm sure its the same
overseas for anyting more trivial than a personal email
account, as most mailing lists soon develop into, in a
relevtively short time.

just some options, ideas that have yet to surface regarding
movinf mysql to a newsgroup or includeing a mailinglist-to-news
gateway.

> HTH
> Jonathan

thats neat another jonathan who spells jonathan correctly, grin.

regards

jonathan

Jonathan Michaels
PO Box 144, Rosebery, NSW 1445 Australia

Thread
mySQL Newsgroup?Bill Hines23 Jun
  • Re: mySQL Newsgroup?(Paul D. Smith)23 Jun
  • Re: mySQL Newsgroup?Walter Reed24 Jun
    • Re: mySQL Newsgroup?Jonathan25 Jun
  • Re: mySQL Newsgroup?Tin Le24 Jun
    • Re: mySQL Newsgroup?Jonathan25 Jun
      • Re: mySQL Newsgroup?jonathan michaels27 Jun