List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:June 26 1999 10:42pm
Subject:Re: to much fragmentation
View as plain text
David Johnson wrote:

> We have five big tables with blobs in them that get fragmented very fast.
> We have to stop out (24 X 7) operation to defrag them too frequently (one a
> week).  It seems that the fragmentation happens so fast because MySQL tries
> very hard not to waste space.  For instance, we had one table that had 6.75
> Blocks/Record but only had 1% lost space.
>
> We'd love if we could tell  MySQL to use 2Gig for the table and populate it
> sparsely, rather than trying
> so hard to save space.  Is this possible?  Do we need to hack the source?
>
> DJ

How about storing the blobs on the filesystem and storing references to
them in the database? You are not searching through the blobs for
patterns, are you?
--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com
Thread
to much fragmentationDavid Johnson26 Jun
  • Re: to much fragmentationSasha Pachev27 Jun
  • Re: to much fragmentationScott Hess28 Jun
    • Re: to much fragmentationVivek Khera28 Jun
    • Re: to much fragmentationMichael Widenius29 Jun
      • Re: to much fragmentationEd Carp29 Jun
        • Re: to much fragmentationSasha Pachev29 Jun
        • Re: to much fragmentationMichael Widenius29 Jun
          • Authentication methodsRoger Smith29 Jun
            • Authentication methodsJani Tolonen1 Jul
        • Re: to much fragmentationScott Hess29 Jun
      • Re: to much fragmentationEd Carp29 Jun
        • Re: to much fragmentationMichael Widenius30 Jun
      • Re: to much fragmentationT├Ánu Samuel29 Jun
  • Re: to much fragmentationScott Hess28 Jun
Re: to much fragmentationFred Lindberg28 Jun