List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Karl Pielorz Date:December 15 2000 10:35am
Subject:Re: Limit to Table Number in a database
View as plain text
Jerome Abela wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 05:24:02PM -0600, David Jourard wrote:
> > I know its a simple question which I couldn't find in the manual.
> > Is there a limit to the number of tables per database?
>
> No, but you'd better not have too many tables (1000 is ok, 10000 is
> probably too many): on most systems, when you open a file, directories
> are scanned to find the correct entry, which is very slow.

We have a number of systems that run a few thousand databases, under FreeBSD.
It doesn't appear 'that slow' - but the number of files is getting to be a
concern...

Does anyone know if it's possible to get MySQL to create/use the database
files in sub directories, e.g. "CREATE TABLE a/atable", "CREATE TABLE
b/btable" etc?

This would let us split the number of files into a manageable number of
sub-dir's, keeping the total number of files down :)

Regards,

-Karl
Thread
Limit to Table Number in a databaseDavid Jourard13 Dec
  • Re: Limit to Table Number in a databaseJerome Abela15 Dec
  • Re: Limit to Table Number in a databaseKarl Pielorz15 Dec
    • Re: Limit to Table Number in a databaseJerome Abela15 Dec
      • Add / into the database.Siim Einfeldt aka Itpunk15 Dec
        • Re: Add / into the database.Sinisa Milivojevic15 Dec
        • Re: Add / into the database.T├Ánu Samuel18 Dec