List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Douglas Brantz Date:December 11 2000 1:20pm
Subject:Re: problems with red hat 7.0
View as plain text
Why is it that when you install Mysql 3.23.X  from RedHat or Mandrake that the datafiles
are in
/var/lib/mysql and when you install the binary from the Mysql site the instructions tell
you to
create an symlink to the mysql dir in /usr/local/mysql.  I guess the difference is the RPM
version
and the Binary install?

I installed Redhat and couldn't start the mysql server - it would start and end and then
when I
tried mysql commands I got  error 111 - means that the server is not started. When I look
in
/var/lib/mysql there are no database directories like mysql or test?   So, I went to the
RedHat
Errata updates and found the mysql fixes and installed them.  Now I can start safe_mysqld
-u root .
If I try to use a password to start the server it complains but I can't shut it down
without a
password.  I moved existing database dir into /var/lib/mysql and they seem to work fine.

I think I am leaning towards Mandrake 7.2 over Redhat 7 for my install - I'm new but I
seem to have
to many crashes  of the OS  RedHat release

Thanks,

Douglas

QDelpeche@stripped wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There is a specific patch for MySQL and RedHat 7.0.
>
> Go to http://www.redhat.com, u will find the patch there.
>
> Regards

Douglas Brantz
Computer Consultant
Fine & Applied Arts
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608

828-262-6312 FAX
828-262-6549 OFFICE
brantzdr@stripped

Thread
problems with red hat 7.0ECE)9 Dec
  • Re: problems with red hat 7.0Douglas Brantz9 Dec
  • Re: problems with red hat 7.0Seung-woo Nam9 Dec
  • Re: problems with red hat 7.0Rob McMillin9 Dec
  • Re: problems with red hat 7.0Seung-woo Nam10 Dec
Re: problems with red hat 7.0Seung-woo Nam10 Dec
RE: problems with red hat 7.0QDelpeche11 Dec
  • Re: problems with red hat 7.0Douglas Brantz11 Dec
RE: problems with red hat 7.0QDelpeche12 Dec