List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:June 24 1999 12:15pm
Subject:Re: adding data is slow
View as plain text
Jon Drukman wrote:

> I've read everything I can about speeding up data insertion, but I still
> can't get it to an acceptable speed.
>
> My table is simple:
>
> CREATE TABLE pageview (
>   url char(128) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,
>   count mediumint(9) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL,
>   date date DEFAULT '0000-00-00' NOT NULL,
>   site char(32) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,
>   KEY urlidx (url),
>   KEY dateidx (date)
> );
>
> I'm using it store web traffic, of course.  For each day, I store every URL
> requested and the number of requests.  Importing 30k rows when the table
> already has somewhere around 500k rows is incredibly slow - 40 minutes!  I
> load the data using the LOAD DATA INFILE command as recommended in the manual.
>
> Dropping the indexes and recreating them after import is not a good
> solution as it takes about an hour to rebuild each index.
>
> Selects are actually quite quick - it's just importing.  Is there any way
> to speed it up?

Drop all indeces before you import, then add them back when you are
done.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)
http://www.direct1.com/ (work)
Thread
adding data is slowJon Drukman24 Jun
  • Re: adding data is slowSasha Pachev24 Jun
    • Re: adding data is slowJon Drukman25 Jun
      • Re: adding data is slowBenjamin Pflugmann25 Jun
        • Re: adding data is slowJon Drukman25 Jun
        • Yet Another Optimization QuestionJon Drukman28 Jun
  • Re: adding data is slowDaniel Koch25 Jun
  • adding data is slowMichael Widenius29 Jun
Re: Yet Another Optimization QuestionKevin Smith29 Jun
Re: Yet Another Optimization QuestionJon Drukman29 Jun
  • Re: Yet Another Optimization QuestionBenjamin Pflugmann30 Jun
    • Re: Yet Another Optimization QuestionJon Drukman30 Jun
Re: Yet Another Optimization QuestionKevin Smith29 Jun
Re: Yet Another Optimization QuestionJon Drukman29 Jun
  • Re: Yet Another Optimization QuestionT├Ánu Samuel29 Jun
    • Re: Yet Another Optimization QuestionJon Drukman29 Jun
      • Re: Yet Another Optimization QuestionMichael Widenius30 Jun
        • Re: Yet Another Optimization QuestionJon Drukman30 Jun
RE: Yet Another Optimization QuestionNigel Parker30 Jun
  • RE: Yet Another Optimization QuestionMichael Widenius30 Jun
Re: Yet Another Optimization Question(David Sklar)1 Jul
RE: Yet Another Optimization Questiontony2 Jul
  • RE: Yet Another Optimization QuestionMichael Widenius2 Jul
  • slow joinsJon Drukman7 Oct