List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:June 24 1999 10:33am
Subject:Re: MySQL to text?
View as plain text
Darrell Shifflett wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Sasha Pachev wrote:
>
> > Darrell Shifflett wrote:
> > >
> > > http://www.linuxtoday.com/lthead.txt is a file that has the daily news
> > > on the site updated daily. Can someone enlighten me on how linuxtoday
> > > might be getting the news in the tables on there main site? Ive seen a few
> > > sites doing this buy retrieving the lthead.txt and somehow putting this
> > > on an html document with borders and tables.
> > >
> > > Redhat 6.0
> > > MySQL 3.22.22
> > > php-3.0.9
> > > Apache 1.3.6
> > >
> > > Any help appreciated,
> > >

> > Not sure about what you are looking for exacly - if you have news data
> > somewhere on the web in a certain known format, in a couple of hours you
> > could write a Perl script to retrieve it, parse, and enter into your
> > tables. Another couple of hours, and you could have PHP or CGI written
> > in your favorite language to display the news from the tables in the
> > format your are most happy with.
>
> Thanks Sasha, that really helped out .... but basically i havent found
> any documentation on how to exactly insert 10 news items out of MySQL into
> a PHP format that includes all the nice tables.
>
> Cheers,

Check out PHP docs, it has to have a way of generating dynamic HTML,
probably print or echo in a loop ( any PHP experts feel free to shed
more light on the subject). If you do not feel like messing with PHP to
figure it out, you can always you Perl or C - more work, probably.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)