List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Derick H Siddoway Date:June 24 1999 3:23pm
Subject:Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big Guys
View as plain text
Sasha Pachev wrote:
>Patrick Greenwell wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Sasha Pachev wrote:
>>
>> > I can understand when you get 64 processor Sun because you are
>> > processing so  much data that you actually have to have 64 CPU's, but
>> > why would you get a low end Sun or HP when an equivalent Intel box will
>> > cost much less and will do the job just as well?
>>
>> One word: Scalability. You don't always know the load over time in
>> advance and where it is going to peak. You could throw more boxes at the
>> problem, however that becomes more difficult to manage. And for management
>> purposes, having as few O/S's and boxes to deal with is generally
>> preferable to a hodgepodge.
>>
>> And just for the record, the vast majority of my admin experience is with
>> BSDi/FreeBSD. :-)
>
>So I buy a low-end Sun for $5000 because I do not want do spend $100,000
>to throw it away and buy one for $100,000 when the $5000 guy cannot
>handle the load?

Something like that, but you buy the scalability.  I probably wouldn't get
an Ultra-10 (for $5000) to be a server, but I would get an E-3000 with only
a couple of processors and a gig of memory to start out a project.  Then, if
you
really do hit a processor/memory ceiling, you have the option to add 4 more
cpus and 5 gig of memory, and you're still in under the $100,000 -- and you
haven't thrown anything away.

Intel supposedly has the same capabilities, but it's scarier.  Buying a 4-way
capable system with one cpu and adding more cpus later doesn't always
work.  (Never, in my experience.)

Also, having an SMP system is a big win when you're using threaded
applications,
such as mysql -- a win that you lose when you split the database out over
several different intel boxes.  And 'round here, network latency is a bigger
problem
than I would have thought, so adding traffic to the <spit> token ring isn't
something
I'd relish.

--
derick

Thread
mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker10 Jun
  • mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsMichael Widenius10 Jun
    • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsSasha Pachev23 Jun
        • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statements(Paul D. Smith)23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsSasha Pachev24 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statements(Paul D. Smith)24 Jun
      • Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysSasha Pachev24 Jun
        • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysPatrick Greenwell24 Jun
          • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysSasha Pachev24 Jun
            • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysPatrick Greenwell24 Jun
          • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big Guysathompso24 Jun
        • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysUnknown Sender24 Jun
RE: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysJohn Foley24 Jun
  • concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?chas29 Jun
    • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Suresh Rajagopalan29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Jon Drukman29 Jun
        • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Suresh Rajagopalan29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Scott Hess29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Vivek Khera29 Jun
    • RE: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Kelly Yancey29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Karl Pielorz1 Jul
        • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Don Read1 Jul
          • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?chas7 Jul
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysFred Lindberg24 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysDerick H Siddoway24 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysKevin Ying25 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysDerick H Siddoway28 Jun
Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Nazar7 Jul