List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Douglas Brantz Date:December 4 2000 11:04pm
Subject:HELP! Moving databases from 3.22 to 3.23
View as plain text
Big question:

I just tried moving a database directory from a server running mysql
3.22 to a computer running mysql 3.23.  Basically, I just tared the
database dir and moved it into the /var/lib/mysql directory and untared
it.  THen I try to mysql database name and it gives me the following
error.
[root@localhost mysql]# mysql edutime
Can't read dir of './edutime/' (Errcode: 13)
Your MySQL connection id is 1 to server version: 3.23.23-beta-log

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help.

mysql> show tables;
ERROR 12: Can't read dir of './edutime/' (Errcode: 13)mysql> show
tables;

mysql> describe timeusers;
ERROR 1017: Can't find file: './edutime/timeusers.frm' (errno: 13)

[root@localhost edutime]# ls
proclient.ISD  protime.ISM   timedata.frm   tproject.ISD  ttime.ISM
proclient.ISM  protime.frm   timeusers.ISD  tproject.ISM  ttime.frm
proclient.frm  timedata.ISD  timeusers.ISM  tproject.frm
protime.ISD    timedata.ISM  timeusers.frm  ttime.ISD

I have over 20 databases to move and I would like to know the easiest
way to move them.
Will I have to do a mysqldump from the older machine then create each
database and cat the dump file back in.?

I am used to having the mysql directory in /usr/local/mysql and having
all the database directories in the data directory under mysql - but
this new setup has all the database files under /var/lib/mysql.

So, what is the best way of moving databases to the new server.

Thanks in advance,

Douglas
Thread
HELP! Moving databases from 3.22 to 3.23Douglas Brantz5 Dec
  • Re: HELP! Moving databases from 3.22 to 3.23Stephen JOhnson5 Dec
  • Re: HELP! Moving databases from 3.22 to 3.23Dan Nelson5 Dec
  • Re: HELP! Moving databases from 3.22 to 3.23Douglas Brantz5 Dec
    • Re: HELP! Moving databases from 3.22 to 3.23Dan Nelson5 Dec
  • Re: HELP! Moving databases from 3.22 to 3.23Douglas Brantz5 Dec
RE: HELP! Moving databases from 3.22 to 3.23Quentin Bennett5 Dec