List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Vivek Khera Date:November 28 2000 7:24pm
Subject:Re: How much hardware do I need?
View as plain text

EF> Here is what I've been thinking of upgrading to:
EF> Dual Xeon 700's on Quad cappable board
EF> 512 Megs RAM
EF> 4 9.1 gig 10k RPM SCSI hard drive in RAID array
EF> Dedicated Gigabit network to web server (should be more than enough)

You are almost never CPU bound on a database application.  You're
bottlenecks are generally disk speed and memory.  Adding memory and
letting MySQL use it appropriately (increase key buffer size, for
example) will help significantly.  Increasing the speed of reading
from your disks will also help, and adding RAM can assist that when
your OS does good disk caching.

The other thing to do is make sure your queries use indexes whenever
they can.  Optimizing your queries and database structure can do more
for you than increasing hardware resources.

If you want to do a RAID array, try to avoid RAID5 if you do lots of
writes.  RAID5 is slow on writing because of the extra checksum write
required.

My suggestion would be to try to bump up to a gig of RAM first, and
see if that solves your problem.  I'll bet it helps more than you'd
imagine.

Internet: khera@stripped       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/
Thread
How much hardware do I need?Eric Fitzgerald28 Nov
  • Re: How much hardware do I need?Vivek Khera28 Nov
  • Re: How much hardware do I need?Bogomolnyi Constantin28 Nov
  • Re: How much hardware do I need?Jeremy D. Zawodny28 Nov
  • Re: How much hardware do I need?Eric Fitzgerald28 Nov
    • Re: How much hardware do I need?Jan-Aage Bruvoll28 Nov
    • Re: How much hardware do I need?Jeremy D. Zawodny29 Nov
RE: How much hardware do I need?James Dabbs28 Nov
  • Re: How much hardware do I need?Eric Fitzgerald28 Nov