List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:jonathan michaels Date:June 23 1999 5:34am
Subject:Re: indexes on TEXT columns, keyword searching through text
View as plain text
steven, et al

On Tue, Jun 22, 1999 at 09:15:09AM -0700, Steven Roussey wrote:

> > Maybe a better solution for your setup would be to use a combination of
> > htdig and MySQL. You can store resumes on the filesystem, so that htdig
> > could index them, and all the meta information in MySQL along with a
> > reference to where the text is stored.

> This is such a common request that I think it would be well worth the effort
> to have MySQL extended to incorporate this functionality natively. It would
> not be ANSI SQL, but it would increase MySQL's value tremendously. Perhaps
> when a field is defined 'TEXT RELEVENT', a 'LIKE' query would use the
> relevancy engine instead of the standard index. It might be advantageous to
> have the search engine as a module that can be replaced so users could have
> htdig, swish, or whatever is supported.

i disagree .. mysql would have to be rewritten ot accomodate
the algorithms required to make it even passably efficient to
do this kind of work.

a far better solution is to point people at the correct tools
to do the job .. wais, was desigend to serve this kind of
material. thier are several implementations and even the
oldeset  worst and most crudely coded version is so much faster
than mysql, any sql, will ever be at doing this kind of work ..
because it was designed from the ground up to serve text
databases.

of course the uthors at mysql could look at linking wais
indexwa into the mysql metadata reability list, thought this
owuld still be a slightly secondrate solution. as the real
peoblem here is not the data base engine, it is sql itself.

regards

jonathan

Jonathan Michaels
PO Box 144, Rosebery, NSW 1445 Australia
===========================================================<jon@stripped>

Thread
indexes on TEXT columns, keyword searching through textTroy Grady22 Jun
  • Re: indexes on TEXT columns, keyword searching through textPaul DuBois22 Jun
  • Re: indexes on TEXT columns, keyword searching through textSasha Pachev22 Jun
    • RE: indexes on TEXT columns, keyword searching through textSteven Roussey22 Jun
      • C API webpagessimon22 Jun
        • RE: C API webpagesDouglas B. Jones22 Jun
        • Re: C API webpagesSasha Pachev22 Jun
      • Re: indexes on TEXT columns, keyword searching through textjonathan michaels23 Jun
Re: indexes on TEXT columns, keyword searching through textPhilip Hallstrom23 Jun
Re: indexes on TEXT columns, keyword searching through textTroy Grady24 Jun